Sep 26, 2009

15-Lover 82, 1982.


I knew I had to get to the Lover pieces sooner or later. First I will explain, choosing the name Lover was at first an affirmation, if you believe, it will be. Looking back I cant help but laugh, not only was I not a lover, when I was I don't think I was particularly good at it. Lets call it wishful thinking. I did many Lover pieces though and the reason for that is these letters actually go really well together and offered many design possibilities while at the same time my style was becoming more my own, individualistic and unique so after choosing a silly name to piece I ended up creating many really neat outlines for it, so lets just call this the Lover series, sheesh!
The letters L and O are perfect together because the bottom stem of the L will always cradle or nest the O on it. The O is a free letter meaning it can be replaced with an image or character and will always be read as an O. Those 2 letters alone open a world of options, the V then represents a new beginning because the L and O can stand alone or join into the piece. The L and O will always dictate what the V will do. In this outline I decided that all letters would be stand alone letters (nothing connecting them to each other) and the "82" over the O because as I mentioned, you can do anything you want to the O.
The style of these letters is influenced by Chinese bamboo styled fonts which are curved like a samurai's sword, thin on one end and thick on the other and always sharp.
The colors reflect when the Design Marker company first released a series of natural toned colors which became all the rage, they muted the palette some but after 3 years of bright colors I was ready for something different and these colors blended so well with each other. I really loved the serenity of them especially in this piece. And as mentioned earlier I had already stopped tagging around the page, making my piece cleaner and more refined, I was respecting the piece as art more and more from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment