Sep 29, 2009

17- Early "Lover" Series, 1982





Ok ok, i know I said that these Lover pieces would be great, well I guess not all of them can be great. 1982 was a defining year for me as my style started one way and blossomed towards the end of 82, the pieces are so different only 9-12 months apart! I also started playing with different colors for the outline part like here, using Marvy fine point markers really allowed me to create some really fun color combinations which really helped later when piecing since everyone was using black to outline(well, not everyone, but many for sure).
I dont have a name for the heavy darker blue offsetting pieces floating near the corners through the fill in but I know they gave the piece some weight helping balance it otherwise, my outline would have been too light and the piece would appear unfinished, or definitely missing something.
I love the simple little Newave at the bottom, simple 3D with red bars, some little brown floating ovals ( i looooove flaoting ovals, they can be used to accomplish almost any design need, cover rogue drips, add color where needed, I still use them these days!)
Also again, the disappearance of any straight lines, this was not a conscious thought, this was just happening to my style, with no rhyme or reason, just forming and only now can I look back and appreciate the growth because back then I had no idea this was going on, just a powerful desire to keep exploring!

2 comments: